This is a continuation of our series of posts summarizing recommendations for using the explosion in information technology to open New York State’s government.
Citizens Union • Common Cause NY • League of Women Voters of NY State
Reinvent Albany • New York Public Interest Research Group
Recommendations for Governor Cuomo
- Create a FOIL Center webpage and post all non-personal FOIL requests, refusals and disclosures within a week for Chamber and agencies.
- Create an Open NY or Innovation Team to help spread good transparency and technology ideas and practices throughout the executive branch, and to implement the transparency revolution.
- Issue executive orders to put government digital information online, starting with the most frequently FOILed and requested documents.
- Adopt DOH Metrix data transparency/collaboration goals for all agencies.
- Fully use NY Performs as a public accountability tool: Fully fund and deploy NY Performs online performance system, and make fully available to public.
- Fund an upgrade of the Authorities Budget Office website.
- Pick one area for fast tracking greater transparency: for instance, consumer financial information, mortgages, insurance, bank rates and credit card rates.
- Launch a high caliber “Project Sunlight” site at Office of General Services.